Professional editor and author Elizabeth Lyon offers aspiring novelists the guidance and instruction they need to write and edit well-crafted and compelling stories that will stand out from the competition and attract the attention of agents and publishers, including:
- Stand-out style techniques, from accessing an authentic voice to applying techniques of “wordsmithing” that transform prose
- How to rewrite characterization for dimensionality, a universal need, and theme
- Adjustment suggestions to match the prose style and structure of specific genres
- Correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style
- Strategies to strengthen story beginnings and endings
- Methods for increasing plot stakes, creating movement, and adjusting pace for maximum suspense
Elizabeth Lyon is the author of six books for writers of fiction and nonfiction. They include Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write, A Writer’s Guide to Nonfiction, The Sell Your Novel Tool Kit, A Writer’s Guide to Fiction, and National Directory of Editors & Writers.
An independent book editor for two decades, Lyon enjoys the challenge and discovery that are a part of editing, each manuscript an original creation. Her work has helped nearly 50 nonfiction writers to break into print, a dozen novelists to get first or subsequent contracts, and many more to win contests. She is an enthusiastic teacher and speaker at writer’s conferences and events, as well as at her “I’ll Come to You” custom-made workshops for groups of writers living across the states and in Canada. Elizabeth Lyon lives in Springfield, Oregon. Her freelance editing company is Editing International.
Or maybe I should say, Ew, revision!
How enthusiastically or non-enthusiastically do you approach revising your writing?
If this is your first post in the giveaway, please read “Da Rules.”
You may post your comments until midnight PST on September 17th.